[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 111, Issue 8

Alison Spain alisonspain at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 14:28:28 UTC 2015

Hi Bruce -

Thank you for your response and checking out the articles.

The original topic that I was referencing was Ms. Cronk's reluctance to
call the police when a situation seems merely "weird" or "suspicious," as
opposed to an actual crime taking place.  I share her sentiment.  The
article that I cited succinctly summarized data that demonstrates that
racial bias does exist, even when we prefer that it didn't.  I believe that
existing racial bias should factor into when we decide to call the police
as lives are at stake.  You are correct, police are trained to respond to
hostile situations.  They are dealing with potentially violent situations
on a daily basis and are trained to respond accordingly.  The police are
armed and prepared for armed confrontation, thus the potential for lethal
violence is escalated.   If you do not summarily dismiss the research, my
point was that in snap judgment situations, we as individuals react and
respond with all of our society's inherent prejudices and stereotypes.

The reality is that unarmed Black and Brown people are more likely to die
at the hands of the police:

"An analysis of public records, local news reports and Guardian reporting
found that 32% of black people killed by police in 2015 were unarmed, as
were 25% of Hispanic and Latino people, compared with 15% of white people
killed."
<http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/01/black-americans-killed-by-police-analysis>

The reality is that Black and Brown people are more likely to be racially
profiled.  For example:

"A February 2009 study of traffic stops and searches in West Virginia found
a similar pattern of racial profiling. The data reveal that
African-American motorists were 1.64 times more likely to be stopped than
White drivers. Hispanics were 1.48 times more likely to be stopped. After
the traffic stop, non-Whites were more likely to be arrested, yet police in
West Virginia obtained a significantly higher contraband hit rate for White
drivers than minorities."
<http://www.civilrights.org/publications/reports/racial-profiling2011/the-reality-of-racial.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/>

My comment regarding police harassment and abuse not being "Your reality"
was in response to your own statements that police "are patriots fighting a
war" and they "will take care of you," as well as your incredulous response
to Ms. Cronk's comments about abuse of power and harassment in communities
of color.  This is not your reality as you have stated your experience in
this forum. It is not my reality either as a white woman.  I have had very
positive interactions with the police by and large, even when up to no good
in high school and college. This has not been the experience or reality of
some of my peers, mostly men and women of color.

To be clear, I am not indicting police or disparaging Riverdale's police
department. I have called them on several occasions, including after a
theft of personal property in my vehicle and when I witnessed a young man
seemingly in need and potentially trying to find an empty building. When I
called about the young man, I was careful to preface that he was a teen and
seemed like he might need assistance and be looking for a place to sleep.
I was concerned that I might put him in danger.  I myself have had very
positive interactions with R.P.D. and have seen them doing a ton of
outreach in the community at events like Riverdale Park Day. Police DO have
an incredibly hard job and are deserving of our respect.  That does not
mean that all police interactions are good or should be given a pass, or
that bias, harassment, and abuse of power do not exist.  Police in any
community represent and are extensions of the community.  Racial bias
exists in me even though I would prefer that it did not.  It exists in our
community, and thus it is logical to conclude that it might exist in our
police force and to take a moment and pause when we think we see something
"weird" and decide to bring power and weaponry into the equation.

Thanks again for the dialogue. I'll be signing off as my toddler does not
allow for many long digressions on list serves.

Regards,
Alison Spain