[RP TownTalk] Change in Government

Jonathan Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Tue Mar 8 22:52:49 UTC 2016

Bob -

I have a much longer response planned but will likely break it out in more readable sections.

I have a mixed opinion about the change in government.  In general terms, this is the preferred model that most town administrators want - i.e. to move to a Council-Manager form of government.  The 'professional' gets to make staffing calls, budget preparation etc.  Ask anyone who has been to our budget hearings - very little is actually changed between the draft budget and the final budget.  The fights are usually around staff additions since they have tremendous impacts to our current and more importantly future budgets (we have a very rich pension benefit but very unfunded pension liability).

In theory a town manager would be above the fray to administer the direction of the town and the Council's primary role would be to administer policy.  A major critique of this form of government is that the manager is expected to understand intrinsically the needs, wants of a community they most likely will not live in.  Managers have no direct accountability to the voters and more importantly it is often difficult to obtain policy leadership with a Council-manager form of government.

What is lost significantly is the lack of any real employee-employer relationship which is my mind is a significant check and balance of power.  Currently the town administrator reports to the mayor and has direct accountability from an operational level to that position.  If you or anyone in town has an issue with say trash collection you can call your Councilmember and/or the Mayor and there is a direct accountability and a constituent service provided.

When contemplating this form of government you have to ask yourself if it would also make sense to go to an at-large Council rather than wards if we are going to remove the system of checks and balances.  More to the point perhaps a mayor shouldn't be elected as a seat but determined by the most number of votes.  If we are going to discuss a decrease in responsibility than of course it is only fair to taxpayers to decrease Council/Mayor salaries commensurately as well.

It also moves a mayor into a position where they get to vote and debate vs. what is required by Roberts Rules of Order currently (an impartial chair).  So imagine a situation (hypothetically of course) where there was significant policy disagreement between the Mayor and another Councilmember.  Currently the Mayor is required by our rules to stay out of the discussion and only votes in a tie.  Going forward it isn't hard to imagine some strong personalities running for seats on Council that may have a difference of opinion that will unlikely lead to a harmonious experience for the rest of the Council.  It is difficult enough to find a policy direction with 6 people.  Sometimes more isn't necessarily better

A fundamental question I have is what is so broken that the Council now feels this is the only path forward? I have seen justifications of that we are growing as a town etc.  Understood and agree but that doesn't define the need in any quantitative form or fashion.  A system of governance does not in of itself solve problems nor does trying to hire your way out of.  I would like to understand what problem it is exactly we are trying to solve.

Jonathan

Jonathan W. Ebbeler
Councilman, Ward 1