[RP TownTalk] Request for council consideration concerning conduct of meetings.

bob smith sfmc68 at verizon.net
Wed May 11 11:58:04 UTC 2016

Yesterday I sent this message to the Mayor and Council for
consideration. I have been advised it did end up in spam.

I am hoping it does not end up there in other's email boxes.

I hope you can take the time to consider this. I am not adding the cheat
sheet for Robert's Rules of Order, but if you would like it I can send
it separately.

Bob Smith
5001 Riverdale Road

Mr Mayor, Town Council, Town Administrator,

I do not have town email addresses for council people from ward 4 or
ward 6, I would appreciate it if someone could pass this on for their
consideration.

I would be pleased to discuss formally at the next work session, the
next legislative meeting. I have included simple agenda item
representation.

I have commented verbally and in notes about my concern regarding
town meetings and the manner in which public comment can be provided
concerning issues, motions, and actions before the council.

I have provided a set of suggestions to the Mayor for consideration and
asked for him to take time to digest and consider. We seem to be close
to understanding exactly what I am trying to convey. I am smoothing the
language out a little and attaching the cheat sheet for the oft cited
Roberts Rules of Order to aid in your consideration.

The Mayor and some council members have stated (to individuals privately
and in session publicly) that Roberts Rules of Order are used for the
conduct of meetings. This procedure precludes an ad hoc question from
the audience if proper decorum and behavior is expected.

The chair as leader of the board is responsible for inviting comment,
managing it, or shutting it out. Roberts Rules and annotations generally
cite "the assembly". I have not used that term in this discussion as the
Mayor and Council have referred to the attendees at public meetings as
honorary members of the council and emphasizing that the council members
and the attendees are thus the assembly.

I am of the opinion that the council may have slipped into at
least the appearance of blocking public comment by voting on agenda
items before public comment. While this may be unintended, the
appearance is clear and concerning.

I suggest, and thus propose, the following as a possible solution.
Obviously this is an approach I would prefer:

1. The meeting process should be documented for all to understand.
The meeting process should include a specific sequence for an agenda
item discussion. For each agenda action item (council resolution)
The process should include:
	a. introduction of the agenda item,
	b. Council discussion of the item,
	c. Solicitation of Public comment on the specific item under
discussion. Limits on speaking time may need to be considered;
	d. at the conclusion of discussion, council concluding remarks,
incorporation of changes, formally read into the record,
	e. council vote on the issue or motion.

=================
As an example Agenda item under Legislative Action Items -

Legislative Action Items:

1. Motion to adopt Charter Amendment Resolution 2016-CR-01 regarding
Council-Manager form of Government

a. Introduction of the agenda item Councilman Thompson with motion to
consider the item.

b. After motion has been seconded, council discussion and comment. Any
changes to the item would be considered at this time and noted.

c. After council discussion, the chair opens the floor and formally
solicits comments from attendees, the honorary council members. Comments
and concerns are addressed by the council and noted.

d. with the closure of discussion any changes, modifications, are
formally read into the record prior to the council vote.

e. The council votes on the issue (as changed or amended after
discussion) and concludes the action.

This process is repeated for each and every legislative action item.
====================

2. The published agenda should reflect this process of action and
solicitation of public discussion.

3. The process should be formally documented in town records. Of course,
executive sessions would necessitate a similar agenda approach but with
out general public section or larger assembly as  described in Roberts
Rules of order discussions.

4. Consent items should include a similar process that ensures public
comment on any item that could impact a neighbor or neighboring ward.
I think generally, impact to neighbors with in a ward is covered but I
am not certain of that. I don't believe I have seen much discussion of
overall impact to neighboring wards or the entire town on most consent
items.  However, since not every resident has the time or the
inclination to attend work sessions, I think this standardized approach
would go along way to ensuring the public has a KNOWN place to comment
on issues of concern.

Consent items COULD be handled in a manner similar to that described in
1.a-e above. Alternatively, introduction of consent items could follow
an abbreviated set of steps 1.a-e IF the attendees (council and public)
are solicited for comment on a consent agenda item before that consent
section rolls on.

This would go along way to assuaging my concerns and issues with the
process at this time.

Respectfully,
Bob Smith
5001 Riverdale Road