[RP TownTalk] is anyone else concerned?

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Mon May 16 13:14:13 UTC 2016

Not all the members of our town council subscribe to this e-mail list. This
list is one platform on which people can post their concerns and debate the
issues, but the place where *all* our elected officials are present to hear
and consider the concerns of the citizens is during public meetings.

I personally engage a lot with online media, as you clearly do too, but
that is not the case for all the residents of our town (including some of
those who currently serve on the town council.)

I do not see anything in Mayor Archer's message that says that you cannot
"comment on matters up for a council vote at the time of consideration for
a council vote before the vote occurs." For example, there were 3 months of
meetings where citizens could comment prior to the vote on the change to
town government. The town charter requires deliberation and public comment
prior to a vote. The public was given that opportunity, and the proposed
legislation was amended to address the concerns that were raised.

I also see nothing in Mayor Archer's message that says that people
cannot petition
their elected representatives. Of course they can!

I know that you have been very engaged, and I know that both CM Thompson
and Mayor Archer have met with you personally to discuss your concerns in
response to the messages you have posted here.

If you continue to worry, this forum is absolutely a good place to express
and work through your concerns. But if you want the council to act on those
concerns, you need to personally contact your elected representatives and
talk to them, or come to the public meetings and present your proposals
there.

-Sarah