[RP TownTalk] Support for Food Justice Coalition

Sarah Combs sarahswalk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 22:08:49 UTC 2018

 Hi Folks,

As you know, I have been volunteering with Showing Up for Racial Justice
Green Line. We establish Accountability Partnerships with local
Organizations of Color, whom we support and consult to make sure our work
stays honest and productive. I'm writing to ask if you  would consider
making a contribution to the Food Justice Coalition of 20743, our
Accountability Partner, in support of the Oakcrest Farmers Market opening
in Capital Heights this July. Capital Heights is a food desert and this is
a step toward raising awareness, working to build equity and inspire
participation in the local food system, with the ultimate goal of opening a
food co-op.

Any amount will help offset start-up costs, intern and volunteer stipends,
and incentives for low income families.

 https://www.foodjusticecoalition.com/donate

You can read the mission statement below and learn more on the website.
Community Partnerships (Non-profit) and Corporate Sponsors are also needed.

FJC20743 Mission:

"The Food Justice Coalition is a group of residents and grassroots leaders
working to make food fair in the 20743 zip code. Our mission is to restore
ownership of the food system to oppressed communities of color. We have
decided to bring a farmers market to Capitol Heights because we want to
increase food access in our community while supporting local businesses,
especially those owned by people of color.

The Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission is allowing us
to use the space at the Oakcrest Community Center for the market. The
market will open in July 2018 for 10 weeks. We will be open on Friday
evenings for four hours."

Nonprofit organizations can become Community Partners of Oakcrest Farmers
market by providing 3-4 volunteers on a market day and donating $100 to the
market. The volunteer hours would qualify for high school credit for those
eligible. Community Partners receive advertisement on their website,
inclusion in the weekly market brochure, and exclusive use of the Community
Spotlight table on one market day.

As a corporate donor, you will be entitled to benefits at one of three
giving levels, starting at just $250.

https://www.foodjusticecoalition.com/donate

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions and share widely.
Thanks for considering!

Take care,

Sarah