[RP TownTalk] EXT : Proposed "Voter Expansion" legislation

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 16:25:14 UTC 2018

ALSO THIS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States#Places_where_non-citizens_can_currently_vote

Wikipedia article  on the history of non-citizens voting in the U.S.  Turns
out it used to be much more commonplace.  Interesting quote here from 1931
(the 20s were at least one peak of xenophobic and anti-immigrant beliefs): "
 In 1931, political scientist Leon Aylsworth noted: "*For the first time in
over a hundred years, a national election was held in 1928 in which no
alien in any state had the right to cast a vote for a candidate for any
office – national, state, or local*."[17]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States#cite_note-17>
"

>From that same article:

Municipalities in Maryland where non-citizens can currently vote in local
elections:

   - Barnesville, Maryland
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnesville,_Maryland> (since 1918)[58]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States#cite_note-58>
   - Chevy Chase Section Three, Maryland
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevy_Chase_Section_Three,_Maryland>[59]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States#cite_note-59>
   - Garrett Park, Maryland
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_Park,_Maryland> (since 1999)[60]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States#cite_note-60>
   - Glen Echo, Maryland <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Echo,_Maryland>
   [61]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States#cite_note-washingtonpost.com-61>
   - Hyattsville, Maryland
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyattsville,_Maryland> (since December
   2016)[61]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States#cite_note-washingtonpost.com-61>
   - Martin's Additions, Maryland
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin%27s_Additions,_Maryland>[62]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States#cite_note-62>
   - Mount Rainier, Maryland
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Rainier,_Maryland> (since January
   2017)[63]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States#cite_note-63>
   - Somerset, Maryland <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset,_Maryland>
   [64]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States#cite_note-64>
   - Takoma Park, Maryland
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takoma_Park,_Maryland> (since 1993)[65]
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_foreigners_to_vote_in_the_United_States#cite_note-65>

I'd be curious to know if any of these municipalities have seen hostile
takeovers by marauding bands of invading noncitizen voters?

"A budget is a moral document." --Jim Wallis