[RP TownTalk] Don't forget to get your tickets! Come learn about food and racism with ECO City Farms and FJC 20743

Jessica Vooris jessica.vooris at gmail.com
Wed May 16 15:12:00 UTC 2018

We have several seats left for this event on Racism and Food systems in PG
County, and need to sell a few more tickets by this Friday.
Get your tickets now! http://bit.ly/DesertsAndSwamps

What - Food Deserts and Swamps: How Racism Makes it Hard for Some
Communities to Get Groceries

When - May 20, 2:30 -4pm

Where - PGAAMCC 4519 Rhode Island Avenue, Brentwood, MD 20722
<https://maps.google.com/?q=4519+Rhode+Island+Avenue,+Brentwood,+MD+20722&entry=gmail&source=g>

Tickets: http://bit.ly/DesertsAndSwamps

This event will be a panel discussion with Chloe Marshall of the Food
Justice Coalition 20743 and Margaret Morgan-Hubbard of ECO City Farms. Both
will provide context for understanding the way that systemic racism has led
to food inequities in Prince George's County and the DMV area. Why do some
communities lack access to fresh food while others have four or five
groceries stores? What does it mean to live in a food desert or a food
swamp? Come learn about the current situation in local communities and the
hard work of activists who are bringing fresh food into their neighborhoods
and returning ownership of food systems to communities of color.

About the Panelists:

Chloe Marshall is a food justice advocate, and one of the co-founders of
the Food Justice Coalition 20743. FJC 20743's mission is to bring fresh
food into the 20743 zipcode area, and restore ownership of the food systems
to marginalized communities. This summer Chloe and the other members are
opening the Oakcrest Farmer's Market, and their long-term goals are to
create a food co-op in Capital Heights. Find out more here:https://
www.foodjusticecoalition.com/who-we-are

Margaret Morgan-Hubbard is founder and CEO of ECO City Farms, which has
locations in Edmonston and Bladensburg. An environmentalist and educator,
she has a long history in social justice, and is invested in mentoring
young people and creating opportunities for collaboration between diverse
groups of people. ECO City Farms seeks to increase food security in the
Chesapeake Bay region, and improve nutrition and health outcomes, while
preserving cultural and ecological diversity. Learn more here: http://
www.ecoffshoots.org/about-us/

Early Bird Tickets are $10 ($15 after 5/13), but no one will be turned away
for lack of funds. Childcare, transportation assistance, and other
accommodations are available upon request. Please contact
greenlinesurj at gmail.com at least 48 hours in advance of the event if you
need payment assistance or require any accommodations including childcare.
All proceeds benefit the speakers and PGAAMCC.

https://actionnetwork.org/ticketed_events/food-deserts-and-s
wamps-how-racism-makes-it-hard-for-some-communities-to-get-groceries

About the Host:

The mission of PGAAMCC is to celebrate and inspire the Community through
the cultivation, preservation, and presentation of the cultural and
artistic contributions of African Americans in Prince George’s County,
Maryland. We pride ourselves on being a learning organization for our
visitors and our staff and volunteers alike. We recognize that learning
occurs in unexpected ways all around us, and that we have the potential to
arouse curiosity and encourage discovery. We value our role as a center for
life-long learning in our community. http://www.pgaamcc.org

About the Organizer:

SURJ GL is a Prince George's County Maryland Chapter of Showing Up for
Racial Justice (SURJ). SURJ believes in collective liberation -- and that
none of us can be free until we end white supremacy. SURJ’s role as part of
a multi-racial movement is to undermine white support for white supremacy
and to help build a racially just society. https://www.facebook.
com/SURJGreenLine/