[RP TownTalk] Quick Energy Home Check

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Fri May 25 22:33:46 UTC 2018

Last weekend a guy came to our door saying that he was with PEPCO and
offering a free home energy check up. He was part of the EmPOWER Maryland!
initiative to reduce energy consumption. As part of the EmPOWER Maryland
legislation, PEPCO offers programs to save your home or business
energy. Programs
include lighting and appliance rebates for homeowners, Home Performance
with ENERGY STAR (including home energy assessments and 50% rebates for
energy improvements like insulation and air sealing), commercial lighting
rebates, and energy efficiency services for industrial facilities.

We had our appointment yesterday and it was so awesome! We replaced all our
CFL and incandescent lightbulbs with LED lightbulbs (up to 16 bulbs), and
got a smart power strip that stops idle appliances from wasting energy by
only using energy when the appliance is in use. If our hot water pipes
hadn't been insulated, we could have gotten pipe insulation. And we had
faucet aerators installed, and could have gotten a low-flow shower head
(had we needed one).

They gave all this stuff to us for free.

You can schedule a Quick Home Energy Check-up for your home here:
https://ezgreenhome.com/quick-home-energy-check-up/

THE HOME WALKTHROUGH
An EZ Green professional will take 20-45 minutes to introduce you to energy
systems in your home and provide some quick energy saving tips. You will
also receive a report summarizing the current condition of your energy use
and recommendations to improve.

ENERGY EFFICIENT INSTALLS
In addition to the analysis, each homeowner will receive energy saving
products to reduce consumption immediately! This may include: CFL and/or
LED light bulbs, low-flow shower heads, pipe insulation, and smart power
strips.

Just wanted to share because I was so surprised that all this was free. And
because the guy doing the work on my house said that it's hard to get
people to answer their doors, and he wanted help getting the word out to
residents about the program.

-Sarah

Sarah Wayland, Ph.D. | www.GuidingExceptionalParents.com
<http://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/>
Supporting students with learning differences & their families