[RP TownTalk] RE: Zip Code Change

Meg Kiernan megkiernan at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 28 21:54:54 UTC 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Zip Code Change
From: Meg Kiernan <megkiernan at hotmail.com>
To: towntalk at riverdale-park.org
CC:

No matter how many lines we draw, zip codes we change, or other metaphoric walls we might put up, the people of Riverdale are our neighbors. They are a part of our community and instead of turning our backs and claiming to be just outside of greater Riverdale's problems, why don't we think about spending half of the energy we would on pushing legislation for a zip code change and devote it to the investment of resources that would actually enhance our neighbors' quality of life, and in effect, raise our property values (which seems to be the ultimate agenda here.) We have enough socially conscious, knowledgeable, and financially stable residents in Riverdale Park and beyond to lend a helping hand, in whatever way is necessary to alleviate pressing social ailments our community faces.
If we were really to have a conversation about "foresight" and long-term sustainable solutions for the development of our town, we would be having much larger conversations on how to make Riverdale Park and surrounding municipalities a better place to live by addressing the elephant in the room--social inequality and a very noticeable absence of participation in decision-making processes for those consistently marginalized by our political institutions.
Meg KiernanWard 2