[RP TownTalk] Proposed 7-11 at Route 1/Sheridan St.

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 12:01:37 UTC 2014

The business model of putting two instances of the same chain store within
such a short distance is completely incomprehensible to me. Years ago, when
the building that is now a Wells Fargo was originally proposed, it was
going to be an Eckerd Drug.... Because we needed a Rite Aid, and 2 CVSs AND
an Eckerd within a 2 mile radius?

That said, this land is privately owned, and it is zoned as Mixed Use Town
Center, which means the building and parking lot have to adhere to the
design standards in the MUTC guidelines (found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x920xperfn0t1jo/MUTCBook2004APPROVEDExceptBigMaps.pdf?dl=0
).

The MUTC committee cannot tell a tenant that they are not allowed in a
particular building just because the business is upsetting to nearby
residents; they can only insist that the building adhere to the MUTC
standards. For example, you can find lighting standards on pages 43 & 56 of
the above document; the MUTC committee can insist that the business follow
these standards (e.g., no internally lit signs).

That said, there are some tenants that are not consistent with MUTC
guidelines; you can find the list of allowed and disallowed uses on page 69
of the above document, or here (
http://www.mncppcapps.org/planning/Publications/PDFs/47/I-RiverdalePlan-Appendice.pdf
).

-Sarah

Sarah Wayland, Ph.D. | www.GuidingExceptionalParents.com
<http://www.guidingexceptionalparents.com/>
Supporting students with learning differences and their families